Skip to main content

Quick Thoughs...

A couple of things have come to my attention recently sobre my blog. First, WAY more people than i thought are reading it. I thought it was just the immediate fam + or – some aunts and cousins, but turns out we´ve got extended fam, family friends, regular friends, old babysitters- i´m starting to feel like Perez Hilton in his early days (before he turned all Hollywood). So request numero 2 coming atcha (since you guys did such a great job on the first one) can you leave a comment or shoot me an email or something so i can get a better feel for who my audience on this thing is. I´ll change the settings so that you don´t have to be a blogpost member to leave comments, but that just means you have to give some sort of indication of who you are within the comment or else they all will just say anonymous and i´ll still have no idea who´s reading this thing.

Second, some of you don´t seem to understand my Spanglish. I don´t whip it out very often, only ever single time i open my mouth around here and usually the words are similar enough to get my point across- bicicleta= bicycle, mapa= map, definalmente= definitely, etc. I kind of like it in here and I feel like it flows a little better without typing in the translations afterward, so a piece of advice to all you not Spanishly inclined, chances are it´s the word that would fit there in English, I´ve just substituted in the Spanish translation. Por ejemplo, ¨…a veces i find myself checking…¨ roughly translates as ¨…SOMETIMES i find myself checking…¨ Get it? Easy peasy, no?

Also, i have a couple more books to add the the list:

Water for Elephants (3.75)
Life of Pi (3.75)
Time Traveler´s Wife (3)

Comments

  1. here is your first comment. excellent new graphics. way more your style. i am happy you blogged today, but i need more info. such as what did you do today? what is the food like? weather? how much do you miss me etc... please blog again. so happy i got a calling card because guess who is going to call you ALL the time?!?! meeee. jk, ill refrain. love ya miss ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the extended reading audience is in part because of me girl, everytime someone asks about you i just give them your blog...you know i love to share ya..felt like we spent shelby's grad weekend with you since we were able to skype a few times (better than not seeing you at all!)..thanks for putting up with all the questions from us..gotta go now so i can be tutored in spanglish(rosetta stone spanglish maybe),charger in the mail as of june 14 so be on the lookout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved seeing you when i was in Sac.You look good.I spent sometime after grad with Joan ad Al. they send ther love. Saw Toni and Ellie in Marin also . Everyone wants to know how you are.My life is not to interesting but yours is,thats why we ask questions.I will e-mail soon and mybe call. Love you and miss you G

    ReplyDelete
  4. rach you read so muuuuuuuch!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2011 Update

Alright alright, I admit it’s been entirely too long since my last blogpost. In my defense, I’ve been trying my hardest to get my various visitors to write accounts of their trips, but I am repeatedly met with “don’t hold your breath” or simple “nah” responses, so looks like you guys are stuck with me. But where to begin? My problem now is that most things that happen to me that would have seemed outrageous a year ago are pretty standard now. Getting on a bus and having the person sitting next to me hold a bag full of live chickens the entire ride is no big deal. Arguing with the fruit vendors that each apple costs 20 cents instead of 25 is my new normal. In that sense, I might fail in painting a full picture of my experience- when I mention a bus ride and you picture a Greyhound while I’m remembering a campo Unidos bus, there’s bound to be some misinterpretations. But maybe that’s what you want to hear about- the little intricacies of how my life has changed and what will come

Past Month...

Well, not much new to report on here but the update your blog emails have started up again, so I better give you guys something. The past few weeks I’ve been mostly dealing with a little housing issue that has come up. Long, whiney story short, I had a house set up for the full two years, but Jaime and Sara (who had previously been living in Riobamba) decided that they wanted to live there, so they basically inadvertently kicked me out. They figured we could easily share the house, which in all honesty is probably true, but you see, there is a widely understood and followed PC rule that PCVs don't live with their counterparts. What's the saying, don't shit where you eat? Well, I don't want to shit or eat 2 feet away from the people I already spend almost every waking hour with. There's got to be some separation here (church/state, work/play, Ecuadorian/American, etc), some degree of privacy, right? What if some other PCVs want to come over for the weekend and

Final Thoughts

I’ve been told once or twice that I’m a dreamer; to get my head out of the clouds. To focus on reality, not fantasy or the prospect of what could- or, in my less than expert opinion, should be. I’ve tried to do just that. I honestly— albeit halfheartedly— have. But it never quite works out the way the suggestors or I ever expect. I guess that’s true for almost every worthwhile experience in life, but no matter how many times expectations get exceeded or disappointed, it always feels like the first shocking time when you realize you don’t know everything and almost certainly never will. The real challenge comes in deciding what to do with yourself after that realization. How you act and react to the knowledge that the world really is your oyster and that no matter how much you know, there is always more to learn; no matter how much greener the grass is in the distance, the fact that you choose to be sinking your bare feet into the grass directly underneath you and what you choose