Skip to main content

Past Month...

Well, not much new to report on here but the update your blog emails have started up again, so I better give you guys something. The past few weeks I’ve been mostly dealing with a little housing issue that has come up. Long, whiney story short, I had a house set up for the full two years, but Jaime and Sara (who had previously been living in Riobamba) decided that they wanted to live there, so they basically inadvertently kicked me out. They figured we could easily share the house, which in all honesty is probably true, but you see, there is a widely understood and followed PC rule that PCVs don't live with their counterparts. What's the saying, don't shit where you eat? Well, I don't want to shit or eat 2 feet away from the people I already spend almost every waking hour with. There's got to be some separation here (church/state, work/play, Ecuadorian/American, etc), some degree of privacy, right? What if some other PCVs want to come over for the weekend and they happen to bring a haba (case) of Pilseners (one of the only beers here) with them- am I back in high school, do we lock ourselves in my room and pretend to be studying or something? What if I meet a nice Ecuadorian guy who I want to bring home…to practice my Spanish with (those Spanish verbs and grammar can be pretty tricky)? What if Sara and Jaime want some privacy, are they just going to hang a sock from the front door knob and expect me to wait outside by the piedra? I don’t think so. Besides that, it’s PC policy (!) and we all know that I’m a stickler for the rules around here. Even though I love this house, the whole housing issue ordinarily wouldn’t be that big of deal and I would just go into town and find somewhere else that meets the PC housing standards, but they have been doing construction on the roads leading up to and past Cebadas (town next door), so all of the workers have taken up residency in town, which leaves me with absolutely no viable options. Entonces, I’ve been sharing the house with Jaime and Sara for a couple of weeks now while we continue to look for another place. It’s not that big of a deal yet, since I’m still within my first 3 months and under ordinary circumstances, volunteers live with a host family during that time, but come the end of this month, my 3 months are going to be up. My program manager, Nelson, is coming to check out everyone’s sites within the next month, so he says that if we haven’t figured it out by then, we can start discussing other options, but I’m hoping something will open up by then. Since I’m sure I’ve got you all on the edges of your seats now, I’ll be sure to keep you posted if anything changes.

Other than that, not much has been going on. I’ve been having the most inconvenient and random electronic issues, which I’ve been taking as a sign that I am using my gear too often so I’ve been trying to back off from my computer and kindle as much as possible. The cameras I’ve been writing off as possible future career investments so I’ve been keeping up with those as much as possible…you never know. Next time I use the Internet in Riobamba, I’ll try to upload some more pictures.
Since I am still within my first 3 months in site, I am technically on travel restrictions so in an effort not to get kicked out of the program over here, all I can tell you about my 4th of July weekend was that I definitely didn’t leave site, there were absolutely no long bus rides involved, and I certainly didn’t have a BBQ with other Americans. If I had done those things however, it would have been a pretty fun weekend and a good way to give my 2 new roommates some privacy so that I don’t have to see any socks hanging from the doorknob anytime soon. Oh well, there’s always next year!

I guess that’s kind of all I’ve got for now. Special prize goes to Dad who sent a package full of Rolling Stone (and pistachio) magazines. Mom keeps asking me what I want people to send me and I don’t really have too big of a list going yet, but if you were one of the ones who were wondering, all I can say is that for a country that produces coffee and chocolate like no other, they don’t have much to show for it in their markets and all their magazines and reading materials are all inconveniently in Spanish, so there’s that…

Chao!

Comments

  1. In a nutshell I would have to say that SUCKS about the housing...but I am sure it will all work out fine in the end...guess that computer charger and peanut butter and those American Apparel t-shirts weren't quite as exciting to receive as the Rolling Stone magazines in the care package department and what about the dental floss...next time I think I will do my own thing and not fill your request girl...you know I love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry abput the housing deal,hopeit changes soon. Did you get the package I sent? I just got some more taco bell sauce. Will send it soon.Just came back from L Q it was 113. Glad to be home in the fog.Love G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Muy bueno on following the PC rules; a little frazzled over the verbs selected when writing to a large audience. Equally descriptive words are available...thanks for the shout out...Mom knew when i got to that part of the blog because I was smiling widely...don't get what she's talking about. Btw, Paul McC was great @ ATT last night...Peace and Love to you.
    Love, DAD

    ReplyDelete
  4. lexi blair and I sit here and read
    but lexi couldn't keep up with my reading speed
    we went to ikea all day long
    and we are learning so many new songs
    its funny that mom used the word "sucks"
    did you know that shug is going to be a UO duck
    we are ordering pizza tonight for din din
    hope you are not sunburnt on your pale skin(...skin)
    we miss you and love you to the moon and back
    we hope you didn't think our rhyme was whack

    with love, sarah and lex

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear from you today.Knowing how wise you are you will solve all problems that come your way.Sounds to me like you need some chocolate to keep you calm. I'll have to send some.I have been working hard this month since Whole Foods Market opened nest door and a workout place as well. So when I eat too much from the market I can work it off down the street.You are looking good. Must be all the soup you're eating. Stay well and I miss you
    Love Grandma Bev
    xo
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wondering if that chocolate I sent has made it to you yet...lets hope it did so I can send you more soon...let me know...hope you are feeling better by now too! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uncle Neil here. Sorry to say that this is the first time I actually checked your blog. Working late, got bored and finally remembered. So after reading last two posts and skimming others I have one things to say - WOW. What an adventure- "Rachels excellent adventure" Do I see a movie deal coming ?
    Sounds like an amazing time, though with its challenges. Regarding the housing, just kick them out and make them live at her parents house...Glad you seem to be enjoying yourself and dealing well.
    Saw your pops yesterday and he mentioned he is visiting- be ready for lots of pistachio's. All OK here, new resident in Sac, my Mom. My dad died in April and she moved out to Einstein, so the local tribe grows.

    Stay well and cheers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2011 Update

Alright alright, I admit it’s been entirely too long since my last blogpost. In my defense, I’ve been trying my hardest to get my various visitors to write accounts of their trips, but I am repeatedly met with “don’t hold your breath” or simple “nah” responses, so looks like you guys are stuck with me. But where to begin? My problem now is that most things that happen to me that would have seemed outrageous a year ago are pretty standard now. Getting on a bus and having the person sitting next to me hold a bag full of live chickens the entire ride is no big deal. Arguing with the fruit vendors that each apple costs 20 cents instead of 25 is my new normal. In that sense, I might fail in painting a full picture of my experience- when I mention a bus ride and you picture a Greyhound while I’m remembering a campo Unidos bus, there’s bound to be some misinterpretations. But maybe that’s what you want to hear about- the little intricacies of how my life has changed and what will come

Final Thoughts

I’ve been told once or twice that I’m a dreamer; to get my head out of the clouds. To focus on reality, not fantasy or the prospect of what could- or, in my less than expert opinion, should be. I’ve tried to do just that. I honestly— albeit halfheartedly— have. But it never quite works out the way the suggestors or I ever expect. I guess that’s true for almost every worthwhile experience in life, but no matter how many times expectations get exceeded or disappointed, it always feels like the first shocking time when you realize you don’t know everything and almost certainly never will. The real challenge comes in deciding what to do with yourself after that realization. How you act and react to the knowledge that the world really is your oyster and that no matter how much you know, there is always more to learn; no matter how much greener the grass is in the distance, the fact that you choose to be sinking your bare feet into the grass directly underneath you and what you choose