Skip to main content

Housing Crisis Averted

Well, a lot has happened since I last updated this here blog. First, and most importantly, I finally found a place to live. My PC boss had to come do 2 separate site visits to help me out, but in the end we finally found one. It’s a little out of my budget (PC has different living allowance classifications and I’m in the lowest, so my rent max is $70/mo) – the new place is $100 a month so my boss is trying to see if PC will grant me a rent increase for the extra $30 or I might just have to pay out of pocket. The place is really great though, not sure if it’s worth $100 or if the landlady just saw desperate gringa and decided to raise the price a little bit, but either way I’m glad everything got sorted out. It’s in the middle of Cebadas (the town next door), so there are definitely more people around. The trade off is pretty straightforward- campo changed into “city”, birds waking me up every morning between 6 and 7 has changed to construction trucks booming by between 5 and 6, still have a fireplace so nothing’s changed on that level, after either the landlady or I finally back down and one of us buys a shower head, I’ll have hot water which makes the new place worth it in and of itself, there are hook ups to hang not 1 but 2 hammocks, the list goes on and on. The apartment is on the second floor of a 3 story building- the bottom floor is a tienda and the other two are mine- on the top floor I’m thinking of trying to start a few tire gardens or something like that. Since I’m not living in the campo anymore, I’m not sure if there’s enough room for a real garden but I’m going to work with what I’ve got. The only problem is that the apartment isn’t exactly finished. It was missing windows and doors and the electricity wasn’t fully hooked up yet, so I went for a little mini vacation to visit some friends (down south and on the costa) to wait out the construction. I called the landlady pretty much everyday and got the same answer- the good ‘ol Ecuadorian “ya mismo.” Eventually I started running out of clean clothes and figured I should get back to my site and only the windows had been put in. Yesterday some workers came by to finish the electricity and put in the back door and the door to the third floor, but not the main front door or a door to my room just yet. No big deal, at least I have somewhere to sleep at night.

We had our first official drop out over the weekend. Sure, technically 3 other people from my Omnibus have already returned home, but each of those were somewhat extenuating circumstances. This is the first site-specific drop out, she just wasn’t integrating and didn’t feel like she could stick it out any longer. She was the first person I met in Peace Corps- my roommate from staging in DC. It’s a bummer that she couldn’t stick it out. I kind of have a feeling that now that the first person has given in, other volunteers are going to start dropping like flies, but I hope I’m wrong.

Sorry Mom, but you have to take a close 2nd place again in the package department- G really outdid herself. Turns out whatever weight I’ve lost over here hasn’t been a result of strengthened will power, but instead just a lack of options, so I’m thinking let’s maybe cool it on the candy sending for the next few months…

Hope all is well in the States. The countdown has begun for my first visitor- 10 days!

Comments

  1. so happy that you surfaced via your blog...now everyone can hear first hand what you have been going through with the housing issue...main question of the day...how can you sleep without a main front door or door to your room?? no more candy packages for awhile i guess...only good stuff from now on...love ya miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you will meet your neighbors with that "open door policy." Are you the only gringa in Cebadas? Love your writing, thanks for taking time to keep us posted. Miss you.....think about you often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope you get this message. I sent one the second i read your blog. I was happy you wrote and enjoy the package.Hope you somewhat settled and that Dad can be there to help.Let me know if you receive my e-mails. Let me know what else i can send . Love you and miss you.G

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi...I wote you a comment about a week ago, but it didn't take because I am so bad at this. But I read al lof your blogs and enjoy them.. I hope you have doors by now and are enjoying your new home. Hoope you are well. Love you. OpA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rachel, It was so good to hear your voice on Dad's Birthday. Glad you are once again settled in a new place. Glad you are being a squeeky wheel so that your words get things done on your place.Lucky for Dad that he gets to see you. We all had a nice B-day for him He had both his Dad and Mom present for his 53rd B-day. Have a great time together and enjoy.Love you, Grandma Bev
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2011 Update

Alright alright, I admit it’s been entirely too long since my last blogpost. In my defense, I’ve been trying my hardest to get my various visitors to write accounts of their trips, but I am repeatedly met with “don’t hold your breath” or simple “nah” responses, so looks like you guys are stuck with me. But where to begin? My problem now is that most things that happen to me that would have seemed outrageous a year ago are pretty standard now. Getting on a bus and having the person sitting next to me hold a bag full of live chickens the entire ride is no big deal. Arguing with the fruit vendors that each apple costs 20 cents instead of 25 is my new normal. In that sense, I might fail in painting a full picture of my experience- when I mention a bus ride and you picture a Greyhound while I’m remembering a campo Unidos bus, there’s bound to be some misinterpretations. But maybe that’s what you want to hear about- the little intricacies of how my life has changed and what will come

Past Month...

Well, not much new to report on here but the update your blog emails have started up again, so I better give you guys something. The past few weeks I’ve been mostly dealing with a little housing issue that has come up. Long, whiney story short, I had a house set up for the full two years, but Jaime and Sara (who had previously been living in Riobamba) decided that they wanted to live there, so they basically inadvertently kicked me out. They figured we could easily share the house, which in all honesty is probably true, but you see, there is a widely understood and followed PC rule that PCVs don't live with their counterparts. What's the saying, don't shit where you eat? Well, I don't want to shit or eat 2 feet away from the people I already spend almost every waking hour with. There's got to be some separation here (church/state, work/play, Ecuadorian/American, etc), some degree of privacy, right? What if some other PCVs want to come over for the weekend and

Final Thoughts

I’ve been told once or twice that I’m a dreamer; to get my head out of the clouds. To focus on reality, not fantasy or the prospect of what could- or, in my less than expert opinion, should be. I’ve tried to do just that. I honestly— albeit halfheartedly— have. But it never quite works out the way the suggestors or I ever expect. I guess that’s true for almost every worthwhile experience in life, but no matter how many times expectations get exceeded or disappointed, it always feels like the first shocking time when you realize you don’t know everything and almost certainly never will. The real challenge comes in deciding what to do with yourself after that realization. How you act and react to the knowledge that the world really is your oyster and that no matter how much you know, there is always more to learn; no matter how much greener the grass is in the distance, the fact that you choose to be sinking your bare feet into the grass directly underneath you and what you choose